- What is your experience of looking at the Moon in previous classes (K-12 and/or college)? How much time did you spend observing the Moon for those classes?
- My previous experiences in school observing the moon did not take place until my college years. I have did not experience in K-12 observing the moon during the school day. In my Astronomy lab last year we observed the moon a few times using our naked eyes and through telescopes.
- How much time have you spent reading about the Moon? Describe any reading you have done in science courses and how much that reading helped your understanding.
- I have learned and read about the moon in my Astronomy and Geography courses here at CMU. I am very interested in the moon and enjoy observing it for fun. My friends and I will sit on each other’s roofs and watch the full moon. I also like reading about different eclipses and observing them. I have read several farmer’s almanacs too that have information about the moon. I feel like I have a pretty good understanding about the moon, especially after my Astronomy courses. One of my campers this summer was very interested in the moon too, so I would read children’s books to him about the moon and space.
- Describe what your understanding of how Moon phases happen before you began this assignment. Draw a diagram that illustrates your current understanding.